If I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life, it would probably be Steak and Potatoes. I have always felt this way. Whether it's a special occasion with a fancy night out, or a regular old meal prep Sunday, I think steak and potatoes are always appropriate. Plus, they just go together. Here is one of my favorite combinations for the dynamic duo.
Sweet Garlic Steak Marinade
- 3 Strauss direct Steaks (any cut you like)
- 6 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1/2 Tbsp minced Garlic
Start by stabbing your steaks with a fork all over (this will allow it to soak up more of the marinade).
Place steaks in a plastic bag and add the coconut aminos and garlic. Seal the bag and move it around a bunch of times to make sure the steaks are well coated. If not, add more coconut aminos and garlic until they are.
Place bag in the refrigerator and leave to marinade for a while. I would suggest 10 - 24 hours, but it should still taste good if you only have a few hours.
When you're ready to eat, cook* the steaks and enjoy them hot and fresh!
*We live in an apartment where they don't allow you to use a grill on your balcony. So we do most of our steak cooking with our stove/oven. Here is how we cook ours:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F).
- Heat cast iron skillet on medium high heat until nice and hot.
- Add enough avocado oil to cover the bottom of the skillet (or whatever oil you like to cook in).
- Place steaks in skillet and leave for 2 minutes to sear. Then flip over and leave for another 2 minutes to sear the second side.
- Place skillet in oven and allow to cook for 8-10 minutes (8 for medium rare, 10 for medium).
- Remove skillet from oven and check to make sure steak is cooked to desired pinkness.
Garlic Aioli Smashed Potatoes
- 1 Egg
- 2 large or 3 medium sized cloves of finely minced Garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp Brown Mustard
- 1 Tbsp fresh Lemon juice
- 3/4 cup light Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 lb small red or yellow skinned Potatoes
- 3 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 medium cloves of minced Garlic
- 1 tsp dried chives (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place minced garlic, egg, lemon juice, mustard, and olive oil (in that order) in a mason jar. Place immersion blender in the bottom of the container and turn on. Blend for about 30 seconds before slowly lifting it to the surface of the mixture. Blend for another 20 seconds or so, until creamy. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees (F).
Heat a pot of water until boiling. Add the potatoes and boil until they are fork tender, but not falling apart. Drain potatoes and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Heat ghee in a bowl in the microwave until it becomes a liquid. Add minced garlic to the bowl and stir to mix them together.
Place potatoes on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use the back of a spoon, carefully press on each potato until it flattens a bit. They usually split open on one side.
Drizzle each potato with the ghee and garlic mixture and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place the potatoes in the oven and bake for 22 minutes or until slightly brown and crispy.
Remove from oven and serve with a dollop of garlic aioli on each!
*Recipe originally posted on www.paleorunningmomma.com.